Default Folder X 5.5 Testing
Updated June 26, 2020
This beta test release is primarily to ensure that Default Folder X 5.5 works with developer beta versions of macOS 11.0 Big Sur. If you're running Big Sur, please download and use the latest beta build. If you run into any issues that aren't documented here as known problems, report them immediately.
Version 5.5b1 includes these changes:
- Compatibility with the first developer release of macOS 11.0 Big Sur.
- An internal switch to prevent Default Folder X from copying tags and comments from existing files when you're saving a file. This can prevent accidentally applying a tag to a newly saved file. Use the command "defaults write com.stclairsoft.DefaultFolderX5 copyExistingTagsAndComments -bool NO" in Terminal to turn it on.
- A hidden option to remove the "Forget Recent Folders", "Forget Recent Files" and "Forget Recent Finder Windows" menu items so you don't accidentally erase your history by choosing the wrong menu item. Use the command "defaults write com.stclairsoft.DefaultFolderX5 menusCanClearRecentItems -bool NO" in Terminal.
- Default Folder X's application icon, toolbar and menu bar icons need to be updated.
- The icons that Default Folder X puts in the Finder toolbar don't match Big Sur's new toolbar icon style.
- Save As sheets have lots of blank space above them between the file dialog and the document's title bar. Because you can still drag the parent window of the sheet, Default Folder X's UI needs to wrap all the way around the top half of the parent window, which looks ugly. And you can only drag the parent window by its title bar, which is not intuitive (but that's Apple's UI decision).
- Default Folder X is not yet compiled natively for Apple Silicon.
How to be a beta tester:
In order to beta test, you must have
a stable, predictable machine (at least as much as that's possible with the Big Surbetas) and be
willing to commit time to work with
us if you discover a bug or conflict.
If you encounter incorrect or confusing
behavior, please try to summarize what
you were doing at the time it happened
and supply that along with a crash
log or screenshot.
Click below to download the public
test version of Default Folder X 5.5:
Please note that
Default Folder X 5.5b1 is pre-release
software, and as such, may contain
bugs. It has been tested for compatibility
on a number of systems, but has not
been fully qualified and released.
When testing any unreleased software,
you should have a backup copy of any
important files, since a software bug
could cause your Mac to crash
and lose valuable data.
Don't assume that a bug you've found
has already been reported!! Please
submit all bug reports and feedback