Default Folder X 6.0 Testing
Updated September 19, 2023
Default Folder X is getting a bunch of exciting new features in version 6! We'd appreciate your help testing them to make sure everything works as it should on your particular system configuration and with your specific collection of apps and utilities.
A quick overview of new features:
Here's a quick rundown. More details are on the Default Folder X 6.0 Tour page.
- Use the keyboard to quickly access favorites, recent files, folders, apps or Finder windows. Pop up Default Folder X's new Quick Search window with a keyboard shortcut, type a few characters of an item's name, and then quickly go to it in a file dialog or open it in the Finder.
- Wide filename field when saving files. Pretty self-explanatory - the default macOS Save As dialogs have an edit box that's way too narrow to accommodate a descriptive file name. Default Folder X 6 makes it bigger.
- Drag and drop files and folders to Default Folder X's icon in the menu bar to move or copy them to another location. Pick a destination folder quickly from DFX's Recent and Favorites menus, or drill down to any folder using it's hierarchical menus.
- Perform actions on files after saving them. Automatically open the saved file, or run AppleScripts, Automator Workflows or Shortcuts on it.
- Customize Default Folder X's menu in your menu bar. Add, remove and reorganize menus and menu items to fit your workflow.
- Sync your Default Folder X settings between Macs. If you've got more than one Mac with the same file and folder organization, sync your settings via iCloud so Default Folder X works the same on both machines.
- A more powerful drawer in the Finder. Default Folder X's Finder drawer has been rewritten to be more useful and intuitive.
- Support for macOS 14 Sonoma. Yes, it's compatible with Apple's latest pre-release build of Sonoma.
What's new in build 6.0b7:
- Fixed a bug in switching between folders in Open and Save dialogs when the toolbar appearance was "Small Toolbar" and either Translucent or Dark.
- Corrected the alignment of the Default Folder X's menu when it pops up from the Finder toolbar button.
- Removed "About Default Folder X" and other unnecessary commands from the Finder toolbar menu.
- Fixed the alignment of the Customize Menu button when running on German systems.
- Added a VoiceOver description for the DFX icon in the menu configuration sheet.
- Added a "Path:" label to the Information pane below Open dialogs.
- Added a Quick Search command to the Utility menu in file dialogs.
- Updated German, French and Danish localizations. Still a few details to go.
- Fixed a number of localization issues.
What was new in build 6.0b6:
- Animation of the expanded filename field is now smoother and more polished.
- Made Default Folder X responsive to changes in Light / Dark mode while file dialogs are open.
- Eliminated a white flicker in Dark Mode the first time a Save dialog is used after Default Folder X is launched.
- Removed a background view behind the expanded filename edit field that could be the wrong color in Dark Mode.
- Opening the Default Folder X settings window while a file dialog is Open now works correctly.
- Improved icons in the Finder toolbar.
What was new in build 6.0b5:
- The expanded filename field now animates to its new, wider size.
- Default Folder X > Settings > Open & Save > Appearance offers separate Style and Theme menus for selecting the appearance of Default Folder X's bezel / toolbar.
- After dragging and dropping a file to Default Folder X's icon, the destination folder is added to the Recent Folders history.
- Switching between folders in file dialogs is faster and more reliable.
- The wide filename field is reactivated and selected after using menus or popups in Save dialogs.
- Fixed saved dialogs so that Command+Delete correctly activates the Delete button if it's present, or performs a "delete to beginning" in the filename field if there's no Delete button.
- Corrected issues with previews popping up for the (nonexistent) Drag Zone when using the Small Toolbar style in Open and Save dialogs.
- In the actions panel below Save dialogs, "Remember these settings next time" text was sometimes truncated. This has been fixed.
- The "with Cancel Button" argument of the CloseDialog Shortcut command now works correctly.
- Fixed a memory leak.
- Default Folder X's two drag-and-drop areas, the drag zone to the left of file dialogs and the drawer below Finder windows, currently show the same set of items. If you drag something to the Finder drawer, it's available next to file dialogs and vice versa. Should I leave it that way, or would it be more useful to have these areas each have their own separate collection of files and folders?
How to be a beta tester:
In order to beta test, you must have
a stable, predictable machine (at least as much as that's possible ) and be
willing to commit time to work with
us if you discover a bug or conflict.
If you encounter incorrect or confusing
behavior, please try to summarize what
you were doing at the time it happened
and supply that along with a crash
log or screenshot.
Click below to download the public
test version of Default Folder X 6:
Please note that
Default Folder X 6.0b7 is pre-release
software, and as such, may contain
bugs. It has been tested for compatibility
on a number of systems, but has not
been fully qualified and released.
When testing any unreleased software,
you should have a backup copy of any
important files, since a software bug
could cause your Mac to crash.
Don't assume that a bug you've found
has already been reported!! Please
submit all bug reports and feedback